Maramureș Greenway interconnects:
- 2 NATURA 2000 sites: Igniș and Gutâi-Creasta Cocoșului;
- 7 protected areas: Rooster’s Crest Reserve, Crăiasca Forest, Morărenilor Lake, Hoteni Raised Bog, Iezerul Mare Peat Bog, Tătarului Keys, Poiana Brazilor marsh;
- 7 villages that are very characteristic for the specific Maramureș culture of Gutâi Mountains and Mara River Valley: Ocna Şugatag, Budeşti, Breb, Hoteni, Hărniceşti, Deseşti and Mara.
Length of the trail: 88 km, out of which 53, 7 % are forest roads, 9, 3 % are countryside roads, and 37 % are asphalt roads.
Connections with nearby towns:
Baia Mare, 45 km distance on national road DN 18 Sighetu Marmației, 15 km distance on county road DJ 184
Options for using of public transport: buses and minibuses residing in Baia Mare or Sighetu Marmației.
- Greenways are multifunctional trails for non-motorized users, that usually connect communities, local initiatives, valuable natural and cultural areas, thus promoting a clean environment and a healthy lifestyle;
- Greenways provide a framework for community-based initiatives and projects related to nature conservation, cultural heritage preservation, sustainable tourism;
- Greenways seek to address needs of locals and visitors and to provide a positive contribution to the local economy.
7 protected areas:
7 villages that are very characteristic for the specific Maramureș culture of Gutâi Mountains and Mara River Valley:
Craftsmen’s and artisans:
Take this trail and you will discover the archaic life of Maramureş, whilst fully enjoying the majestic beauties of Gutâi Mountains’ landscape.
Relax actively and moreover contribute to nature conservation during your incursions into nature:
– Use as much as possible traditional means of transport such as: horse drawn carriages or sleighs. For small distances, take the bicycle or simply walk.
– Respect existing trails, do not deviate from them.
– Avoid excessive packages and evacuate all rests of your picnic.
– Use the primus cook instead of lighting the fire.
– In case lighting the fire can’t be avoided, use existing fireplaces (where the case) and only use fallen branches – where area management permits.
– Before leaving, properly extinguish fire by using water or soil.
– Respect wildlife: walk quietly, enjoying the sounds of nature but avoiding direct intersection (e.g. nesting places, burrows) and do not feed wild animals.
Contribute to development of local communities:
– Use local guiding services for exploring the major local touristic attractions.
– Use local services for renting of bicycles, carriages etc.
– Taste local meals and buy traditional products of the area.
– Buy locally made souvenirs made.
Local services for non-motorized transport
Desești, Main Principală, no. 259
Tel: +40 262 372 603;
+40 747 073 935
Popasul din Deal Guesthouse Ocna Șugatag
Unirii street, no. 1 D
Tel. +40262 374 133
+40 723 472 647
Breb, no. 346
Tel. +40 262 374 593
+40 744 145 349
Initiator of the Greenway movement in România: Romanian Environmental Partnership Foundation